Sunday, July 10, 2011

Central Vietnamese Cuisine at Quan Vy Da (Little Saigon, Westminster)

Not too long ago I blogged about the northern Vietnamese food during a Little Saigon North to South tour with Wandering Chopsticks. This was our second food stop, Central Vietnamese cuisine at Quan Vy Da (well, she said it was more South Central). I had been looking forward to this stop all day, because they have banh beo and banh it ram. I'm biased and I declare central my favorite food region of Vietnam, because I love chewy rice cakes!

Yes, my favorite: banh beo chen Vy Da - steamed rice cakes topped with dried shrimp, served with fish sauce ($5.95)

Banh Beo
While it may seem a simple dish, it's easy to screw it up by having the rice cake too thick or too dense. The ones at Quan Vy Da were just right for me. You can top it off with pork rinds if you want extra flavor and crunch (and yes, you do).
Banh Beo close up


My next favorite: Banh it ram - steamed pork and shrimp rice dumplings on top of fried rice discs ($5.95)
Banh It Ram
See, people have played with texture since long ago. With the banh it ram you get the contrast of the crispy fried disc at the bottom, and the chewy rice dumpling on top. Bite into both to get to the juicy pork inside.

A new discovery: hen xao xuc banh trang - stir fried baby clams served with dried rice cake ($6.95)
Baby Clams w Dried Rice Cake
The sauteed baby clams were tiny, but so flavorful. You eat this by scooping it up using toasted rice paper and I could not stop picking at it. I'll definitely get this one again.

Mi Quang - yellow/turmeric rice noodle with pork and shrimp ($6.50)
Mi Quang at Quan Vy Da
This reminded me of Indonesian food, thanks to the turmeric and the peanut toppings, two very common ingredients in Indonesia. Comforting.

I can't remember why but I had to leave after this and missed their Brodard stop, but I was glad I made it to Quan Vy Da. The banh beo, banh it ram, and the sauteed baby clams are possibly my favorite dishes that day. Plus one for Central Vietnamese food!

Quan Vy Da
9950 Bolsa Ave
Westminster, CA 92683
(714) 531-2905
Quan Vy Da on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP