Monday, December 22, 2008

Kiriko: Fresh Sushi and More

Someone suggested Kiriko on Sawtelle to us for great sushi. Actually, it was (one of) my hairdresser(s), who is Japanese and know a lot of places and Japanese chefs - including Totoraku!

When we went Kiriko was fairly empty with only two other patrons there. They actually had quite a nice selection of cooked items both on their regular and their specials menu.

We browsed through the specials menu for the night and got the blue crab sunomonoNice flavor and refreshing, although it did mask the flavor of the blue crab a little, which is kind of a shame. I did like the flavor and texture combination with the cucumbers though.

As for the sushi, I started with pretty much my standard, including salmon and hamachi (below)
The sushi here is fresh and they gave me pretty fatty hamachi pieces, which made me happy :)
Good fish/rice ratio too.

I also got some hamachi kama (yellowtail collar)
Delicious. Tender fatty kama - very flavorful. I especially loved the parts near the bones, as usual :)

I also ordered a sushi from the specials menu and .... since I don't take notes, and this is a backpost (I need to start taking notes! Seriously!)
WHO CAN IDENTIFY THIS MYSTERY FISH??
Anyone? Anyone?

For some reason I was craving a kani maki, so I finished off my meal with one.
The crab roll was quite nice! Overflowing with sweet crab with a nice texture. A nice way to end the meal.

The sushi at Kiriko was pretty good and they also have some great cooked items. Definitely one of the gems on Sawtelle blvd. I wonder why they are not as busy as I think they should be! But I'll be back to give them more business.

Kiriko
11301 Olympic Blvd #102
West Los Angeles, CA
(310) 478-7769
http://www.kirikosushi.com

Kiriko on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

SinoSoul

always liked Kiriko... now I just gotta make it for the killer lunch omakase 1 of these days...

Right Way to Eat

I used to work around that area and never really stopped by there. Too much of Hurry Curry and Blue Marlin will do that to you.

*sigh* Gotta hit back that area again soon. Missed the Foie Gras at Orris.

Aaron

That fish looks so familiar. I want to say it's kinmedai Golden Eye Snapper.

Compare below
http://flickr.com/photos/61246842@N00/429871721/
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z131/legacy_otaku/2008_June/08_06_30_Bluefin_030.jpg

gourmetpigs

Aaron: Ohh it really does look like the kinmedai from your first photo!

FoodDigger

Nice meal! The fish is definitely Golden Eye Snapper. I had it, skin on and charred with flame, at Ryugin in Japan. We also had it at Shibucho, but that was skinless. I came to Kiriko once for a snack, and ended up spending $200. Not a cheap place, but definitely great sushi. Now I feel like a crab roll!

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP