Sunday, October 17, 2010

An L.A. Pilgrimage: Langer's Deli

I finally made it to Langer's and one visit was enough to see why everyone loves their pastrami.



You can't talk about pastrami in LA and not talk about Langer's. As expected, it's a popular lunch spot. Their parking lot around the block was almost out of empty spaces on a weekday, and there is a wait for a table.
This being my first visit, I ordered the most popular sandwich: Pastrami, cole slaw, and swiss cheese with Russian dressing ($14.45)
Upon first bite I understood why Langer's is so popular. The pastrami itself was tender, smoky and peppery with just the right amount of fat that the thin slices retained both a great meaty flavor and an almost melt-in-your-mouth consistency. The cole slaw added a nice texture contrast between the tender pastrami and the chewy bread, though the swiss cheese was somewhat lost amongst everything.

Eventhough Seriouseats was blown away by the double-baked bread at Langer's, my friend didn't bother with bread and cole slaw. She went straight for the pastrami platter. I might have to do this at least once.

The oversized Root Beer Float ($4.25) will definitely push you over the edge, but the child in your heart will be so satisfied.


Crinkle cut fries

Is there a pastrami in LA that can beat Langer's? If you think you know of one, please let me know so I can try it. I do believe Brent's black pastrami in Northridge should be next on my list. Next time I'm in New York, I'll have to compare this to Katz's Deli!

Langer's Deli
704 S Alvarado St
Los Angeles, CA 90057
(213) 483-8050
www.langersdeli.com
Langer's Deli on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

JustinM

Katz's is great, Langer's is better. Although I have heard of people combining the Langer's bread and Katz's pastrami with wonderful results, but that's far too ambitious for me.

Daily Gluttony

I can't believe I've lived in LA for 20 yrs and have still not been to Langers. Looks like I've been missing out!

weezermonkey

My fave is #10, grilled. You should try it. :)

lynn

i haven't been to langer's yet. i wonder how their corned beef is? i was disappointed w canter's version.

gourmetpigs

JustinM: Interesting, I'll definitely give Katz a try anyway :)

Daily Gluttony: It took me a while too but I do think we were both missing out!

weezermonkey: I'll have to try that next. Thanks for the info!

the actor's diet: I was disappointed w Canter's corned beef too when they had their anniversary special. Haven't tried Langer's though.

Gastronomer

i still need to go here! thanks for the red meat reminder. mmm!

lottoman7210

Langer's is where GOD goes to eat when he craves His Finest Pastrami. No one can touch it. Not Canter's, not Brent's, not Greenblatt's, not Jerry's. Not sure about Katz's, never having been to NY, but I'm confident enough to lay my money down on Norm Langer's heavenly pastrami any day. I routinely drive 70+ miles from Redlands to enjoy the greatest pastrami in the Land.

Lori Lynn

Great review and great photos! Oy, those portions!!
LL

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP