Monday, September 15, 2008

Backpost: Osteria Mozza and My Mozzarelas

This is a backpost from ... oh I don't know months ago. This was my trip to Osteria Mozza and after loading the photos I lost access to my desktop due to many reasons. But now here it is! See if I remember anything.

We made a reservation and got there right on time but the table wasn't ready anyway, so I had to wait at the bar for 10 minutes. Oh, well :/

First I ordered the mozzarela tasting appetizer since I am at Osteria Mozza after all!
mozza tasting
Bufala, burrata, and fior di latte. This was waay too much cheese for 1 person (or 2 when one of us doesn't really like cheese). They also put lots of olive oil on it as you can see. I mean, it's yummy but seems a bit too fatty.
bufala
I couldn't really distinguish the tastes, but the textures definitely had noticeable differences. I liked the bufala a lot in the beginning but after eating a half of it, I found I liked the burrata's texture better.

We also split an order of gnocchi (this is a half):
gnocchi
The gnocchi was great and the sauce was tasty. It was supposed to be "wild boar ragu" though which was the reason I ordered it, but there was not much wild boar to it. Still tasty food though.

We also shared the Crisp Duck al mattone.
duck
Impressive presentation, IMO :)
Duck was definitely crispy. Pretty juicy, flavorful. But ... a weeee bit too overcooked - just a wee bit dry ...

Now ... I'm so sorry but I don't remember what I had for dessert. Whatever it was it wasn't anything too special.
dessert

Overall I liked the food, although I would wait until the hype has gone down before coming back, so that 1)I can get reservation semi-last-minute and 2)I can eat in peace ...

Osteria Mozza
6602 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038
1.323.297.0100

Osteria Mozza on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

H. C.

better late than never ;) nice review and wondering how big were the mozzarella portions in the sampler (couldn't quite tell from the photos)

and from what the picture look like and comparing to Osteria Mozza's menu I think the sweet you had was the baked chocolate pudding with bourbon gelato? Too bad it was unremarkable though (but at least it wasn't remarkably bad!) and it's nice to hear someone get a dessert asides from those olive oil cakes :)

lamojitogirl

On average the mozzarella is about:
If you put the tips of your thumb and your forefinger together ... yeah about that size :)

ila

wow, humongoid cheese pieces!

Kat

Yay! You finally put up a new post! ^_^ I am waiting to see your photos of our visit to the Hokkaido Fair! I have already put up tons!

The Mozzarella looks good, but I haven't heard you really talk about this place so I know you don't love it that much. I love those indented plates! We should go to the Beverly Hills Cheese Store sometime soon!

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP