Monday, September 8, 2008

Chabuya: Best of Sawtelle Ramen, Not Best of LA

Ahhh, Ramen. There's hardly anything else that would hit the spot like a nice bowl of ramen would. But what if you can't make it all the way to Daikokuya? Much less Asa or Santouka? What if the best you can do that night is Sawtelle? Well, Chabuya was the obvious option in my mind.

I'm a sucker for miso, so of course I ordered the miso ramen with pork. I also added an egg (+$1).
Pretty good, pretty good. I like the addition of sesame seeds and fried shallots. The soup is not nearly Daikokuya-level. It's not bad and is actually pretty flavorful and rich, but somehow ... rather boring. I agree with rameniac's contention that Chabuya's soup is a "one note samba". Still, I could live with ... at least temporarily. It is actually quite good compared to the other ramen-yas on Sawtelle.

They also have the "Zembu" option which, like the name says, contains ALL the toppings. Although actually it doesn't have all the possible toppings they offer. This bowl below also had tofu that cost $1 extra.
So the $1 for additonal toppings can be pretty expensive. I mean, extra tofu for $1 is fine, $1 egg is okay, but $1 for green onions ... ? You serious?

Anyway Chabuya has its faults, but overall it's still a good bowl of ramen, and at least there' no 30 minute wait out the door. When I can't drive all the way to Daikokuya, Chabuya is still my go-to place.

Chabuya
2002 Sawtelle Blvd

Los Angeles, CA, 90025
(310) 473-9834

Chabuya Tokyo Noodle Bar on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

mattatouille

I've been here too. Respectable ramen though a bit expensive in my opinion. One of the better ones on Sawtelle.

H. C.

Agreed, I like Chabuya and won't mind eating there, but probably not my fave of the LA/OC ramen-houses. I particularly uneasy about the thinner noodles served here, but maybe it's just me liking 'em thick.

Airencracken

I'll have to try this place out. I'm often around Sawtelle visiting Nijiya Market or the Korean place up the way, um, Tofu-Ya.

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP