Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cozy Comfort at Tart Restaurant

Tart Restaurant on Fairfax had been around do a while but I've always looked over it. Upon walking in for the first time I was pleasantly surprised at how cute the place is.
IMG_9573
Both the indoor and outdoor dining areas are charming
IMG_9574Owl lampshades!
  IMG_9577

Biscuits and butter to start
IMG_9580
From the appetizer (they're rather big appetizers) we tried the Shrimp 'n grits (beer braised white shrimp with andouille sausage, okra, cheddar grits, topped with sunny side up egg - $12)
IMG_9583
They flavor is pretty different than the usual shrimp and grits, but mmm... cheddar grits and runny egg!

I really wanted some red meat, so for my entree I ordered the Hanger steak with salsa verde ($24). At first glance the entree prices seem a little high, but they actually each come with your choice of two sides!
IMG_9586
The steak was quite good. It was a well prepared medium rare steak, see that beautiful pink in the middle? It had a nice flavor and was tender as well.

As I said, the entrees come with your choice of 2 sides. For mine I chose Black eyed peas with slow cooked collard greens and bacon, and Mac n cheese (white cheddar, garlic cream sauce). Oh I also tagged on some purple potatoes.
IMG_9588
The mac n cheese was really rich: cheesy and buttery. My favorite was actually the black eyed peas. I didn't think I really liked black eyes peas before but I was kind of addicted to these. Must be the collard greens and bacon..

Some more sides: Crispy fried brussels sprout tossed in chili vinaigrette. Grilled asparagus in hazelnut sage brown butter.
IMG_9590
Shop Eat Sleep who came with me got the Meatloaf (recipe from the chef's mom - $16)
IMG_9591
I thought the meatloaf was ok but Shop Eat Sleep enjoyed it. The flavors were good but I like my meatloaf more moist. 

We also tried a couple of cocktails which were ok but nothing special. I'd stick with wine and beer. Tart is a nice neighborhood restaurant with really charming decor, good food, and reasonable prices with big portions to share. 

Tart Restaurant
115 S Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 556-2608
http://www.tartrestaurant.com/
Tart Restaurant on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP