Sunday, June 8, 2014

Theatrical Cocktails at Artesian Bar (London, UK)

I had limited time on my first London trip, and a lot of cocktail bars to try. Artesian Bar in The Langham London was named World's Best Cocktail Bar by Drinks International in 2013, so I knew I had to try it.

I liked the bar as soon as I entered. It's beautiful and comfortable, the menu is intriguing and the service and pacing impeccable.

IMG_4876
I was served a glass of sparkling wine upon seating, garnished with a petal in that Langham pink color.
IMG_4871
The menu is revamped annually. This year it is a color coded wheel. Yellow indicates rich and aromatic drinks, green is refreshing, etc. You read the menu drink by drink through the butterfly shaped opening.
IMG_4869
Some nuts and potato chips for the table.
IMG_4875

I started with a drink called the Super Panda, made with Botran (a Guatemalan rum), Kamm and Sons (a botanical British aperitif), mango, citrus, almond. The server brought the drink over with ... a panda shaped balloon? Turns out the panda is infused with the aromas present in the drink.
IMG_4877
They serve the drink on top of the panda and you inhale the aromas as it is deflated by the glass.
IMG_4878
The cocktail itself is sweet and refreshing but still well balanced and complex.

My favorite drink I tried was the Unfinished Business (Woodford Reserve, Martini Rosso, bitters, galangal - leather aged). It is topped with chorizo and capers.
IMG_4882
The aromatic drink fans will love this. I ordered it because I was curious about the leather aging and not only was it exquisite, it worked beautifully with the salty garnish.

The cocktails at Artesian aren't cheap at £16.50, but the drinks are interactive, fun, and perfectly made. Not only that, when I was there, each table received a plate of canapes including finger sandwiches of beef carpaccio and more.
IMG_4889

It's hard to get in to the bar, but everyone is seated comfortably with enough space between them instead of being packed like sardines in front of the bar. I had a great view of the bartenders and their tricks.
IMG_4884

For my last drink, they recommended the Aqui Estoy (Don Julio blanco, falernum, mescal, shiso, citrus). What came was a skull wearing a sombrero.
Skull
Removing the hat reveals burning cinnamon bark atop the slice of lime. It's all about enhancing the aroma. We taste with our noses first, after all.
IMG_4901
Inside is a wonderful tiki drink on crushed ice.

Drinking at Artesian reminded me of The Aviary, where each cocktail is an interaction and a performance. At both places, the cocktails themselves live up to the hype. I came alone to Artesian but between the fun drinks, watching the bartenders, and the friendly service, I had a wonderful time. When you're in London, Artesian is a must try!

0 comments:

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP