Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Healthy Food that Surprises at Stamp Proper Foods in Los Feliz

If you're looking for healthier food that isn't boring, try Stamp Proper Foods that's recently opened in Los Feliz. Owner and Chef Catherine Baker was a model for 20 years before opening Stamp Proper with partner David Beckwith. Said partner is actually also Catherine's fiance, who apparently had lost a lot of weight since they started dating and loved the food so much he thinks she should open a restaurant.

IMG_5509
Sure, as with healthy restaurants, there are lentils, gluten free baked goods, smoothies/juices, and all that. But what I like about Stamp Proper Foods is Catherine's twists on all of these.

For breakfast, I really enjoyed the Moroccan Lentils and Eggs (lentils, sauteed spinach, poached eggs, date chutney, toasted almonds, currants, and grilled lemon - $14)
IMG_5519
It's the little things she added that impressed, like the crunch from the toasted almonds, and the sweetness of the chutney and currants.

Sandwich options included Bison meatloaf sandwich, with sharp cheddar, spicy ketchup on sourdough ($14, choice of house-made slaw or mixed greens)
IMG_5521
As you can see, this isn't a vegetarian restaurant, but they opt for the leaner meats.
My personal favorite may be the Mole Omelet (mashed black beans, brown rice, cotija cheese, housemade mole salsa, avocado, and crema. Served with mixed greens, $13)
Mole Omelet
I'm highly partial to a good mole, and the mole here is indeed good. This is the perfect breakfast for me: a fluffy omelet, rice and beans, and a nice mole sauce. Some greens too so I can act healthy.

IMG_5517
As for the smoothies, what they serve here are far beyond the typical strawberry banana. Instead, there's the Strawberry Tomato Basil (cherry tomatoes, strawberries, romaine, goji, lime, basil, dates, coconut water -$8).
I was skeptical but curious in the beginning. Basil and romaine in my smoothie? But I was converted. Sure, the taste is unusual and it's only subtly sweet, but despite tasting healthy it was easy to drink and quite refreshing.

Their gluten free cookies are made with almond flour. It has a nice chewy consistency.
Gluten free cookie

I enjoyed my first visit so much, I went back on my own. The second time around I tried the Roasted Sweet Potato Sandwich (roasted sweet potato, arugula, sun-dried tomato and goat cheese spread on grilled squaw bread, $12)
IMG_6833
This was another winner, especially if you're a fan of sweet potato.

There's a deli case of cold salads, as well, if you wanted something quicker. The tomatoes are fresh and only lightly dressed.
IMG_6832


IMG_6831
I tried another unusual smoothie, the Cacao & Greens (banana, mixed greens, almond butter, cacao nibs, maca, flax, almond milk - $8.50). I liked this one a lot, also - and more of a dessert than the basil one, although still not that sweet (which I liked). Who knew chocolate would go well with greens?


A vegan, gluten free pumpkin bar to finish. The bottom crust is made with a bunch of nuts and seeds.
IMG_6830

Stamp Proper Foods is only open until 8pm at the moment, which made it harder for me to get to. If only it was open for dinner, though, I'd be here a lot more. Check out the goods they have in the market, too, including cute bibs made by Catherine's mother.

Stamp Proper Foods
4500 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 953-5181
www.stampproperfoods.com
Stamp Proper Foods on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Kero Basta
This comment has been removed by the author.

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP