Monday, April 29, 2019

New Spring Dishes at Veggie Grill

I've never been to Veggie Grill previously. Since I'm not a vegetarian, I don't really seek out vegetarian restaurants, especially a chain. But I recently tried some of their new spring menu items and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

We started with some spring pea guacamole. This spring I've been all about the peas - they've just been so good. This pea guacamole - served with plantain chips - was no exception. It was fresh and sweet thanks to the in-season peas.
Veggie Grill
There's also the Spring Farm Salad with pea tendrils, baby kale, rosemary "chikin", campari tomatoes, dates, watermelon radish, croutons, feta "cheese", sunflower seeds, and avocado dressing
Veggie Grill

Yes, that is substitute chicken meat. It's a vegan place after all. Overall it was a great salad with a lot of things going on in it. I love a good salad and it's hard to make at home with so many ingredients to mix in. In this one, I really enjoyed the pea tendrils.

Bulgogi "beef" protein bowl: marinated bulgogi "beef", cauliflower rice, brussels sprouts, roasted tomatoes, pickled cucumber, green onion and sesame seeds
Veggie Grill
If I were to come here this season by myself and just get one dish, it would be this bowl. It feels fairly light and healthy thanks to the cauliflower rice and vegetables, but still comforting and filling. The marinade on the fake beef was quite nice. The texture was more tender than beef, but with all the flavors going on I honestly didn't really miss the meat.

BBQ pulled "pork" sandwich with bbq sauce, coleslaw, onion strings, sesame seed bun, dill pickles
Veggie Grill
This pulled "pork" is a new collaboration with Cena Vegan, a plant-based meat purveyor from the LA area. It's actually yuba, or tofu skin, which gives it that pulled or shredded texture. I personally have always been a fan of yuba, so this worked for me as well. The BBQ sauce was a tad sweet for me, but you can just ask for less sauce.

I finished off with some matcha horchata and took home a raspberry cake, which made for a nice breakfast the next day!
Veggie Grill

As I mentioned before, I didn't really think to try Veggie Grill because I wasn't vegan, but now that I've tried their food, I would keep them in mind when I'm looking for a quick and more "wholesome" meal next time. While it's nothing fancy, I found (at least their seasonal menu) to have more interesting offerings and flavors than I had expected. Plus, they have one location not far from my office!

P.S. The Westwood location validates for free 1-hour parking in a nearby parking garage!

Veggie Grill
https://www.veggiegrill.com/
Veggie Grill Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Gourmet Pigs   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP